the evolution of our living room


We have lived in our farm house off and on for the last ten years (well, my husband for 11 years. He's fifth generation to the place). Our living room has evolved quite a bit in that time, not so much in major ways, like a renovation or paint colors, but in furniture and accessories. Here's a little picture timeline to best show what I mean...


Newly married in 2009 to around 2013. We started off with a tan leather love seat and ottoman (a set my husband got from a friend) and soon moved onto a more complete look with a simple couch and armchair from IKEA. 


2013 saw a lighter and brighter look with the ever so popular slipcover Ektorp from IKEA and a matching armchair. (are you sensing an IKEA theme? It doesn't stop here) I remember thinking our living room was SO cozy and pretty this way. And looking at this picture, there are definitely elements I still like about it. But what was going on with my mantle? That spot has always been a weak area, decor wise. 

The living room pretty much stayed like that above, give or take a few rearrangements in pictures and  accessories, until we moved away in 2016. When we moved back in 2017, we brought with us a leather sectional from, you guessed it, IKEA.



While we were living away, we found that sectional for a steal in the As-Is section. I'm talking marked down to $450 from $1400 kind of steal. We couldn't pass it up. It was up in the air if it would fit in our small living room, but we hauled it back across the country with us and breathed a huge sigh of relief when it fit... perfectly. 

Our living room is the coziest it's ever been. I got smart and moved our TV to this room, above the mantle, which makes so much more sense than having it in our bedroom. Now I don't have to worry about decorating a mantle (seriously, such a struggle, haha) and it's functional! 

Pictures don't totally capture the space. It looks smaller and more crowded than it is in real life. I'm hoping to lighten the walls in the coming months, I'm ready for a new color and something that brightens the room up a little more. But for now, I'm enjoying where it's at and how far it's come. 


1 comment:

  1. You always make your rooms so warm & welcoming, like a hug! Love your new blog! Mom

    ReplyDelete